Monday, June 3, 2013

Promising Possibilities

In John's first letter to the new followers of Jesus he writes, "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known."

How promising is this?! Oh, the possibilities! I am fairly certain we don’t ever fully grasp what an absolutely incredible promise this is. Most probably because we don’t fully grasp who God is.

God created everything.

God has the power to control everything.

God knows everything.

God, like an good parent, wants the best for his children.

Now, we as humans are certainly not the best gauges of what is best. Sometimes we even fail at being good gauges of what is adequate. I think this is the root of much of our discontent. Knowing that we are created in God's image, we prefer to see ourselves as mini-gods, able to judge and discern what is right and best, instead of how God sees us, as children who need to be guided into making proper choices. To be clear, we are children God LOVES beyond all measure and would do most anything to ensure we receive what is in our best interests (see: sending Jesus as a sacrifice for our poor choices, etc.)

So, God sometimes doesn’t allow our lives to play out the way we imagine or desire. Sometimes that’s because the desires of children can be their ruin.

A few Sundays ago, while I working with the kids during worship, I asked them to name the one thing they would want in the whole wide world. One said a robot, another a super fancy car (I mean super fancy with a name I have never heard of) and another, with a twinkle in her eye, wanted the entire building we were sitting in to be made of chocolate. The rest of the children completely rallied around this idea.

Children don’t make the best choices. And the truth is, neither do adults.

It's comforting to me to know that with all of the choices I have already made and all the paths I have already taken, what I will ultimately be is not yet known. Because I am God’s child, my future is still full of promising possibilities.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! ~ 1 John 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment